Dia - a Drawing Program
- A gtk+- based diagram creation program for GNOME. Latest stable release is 0.97, 2009-05-03.
- A command-line tool that blends away the seams in a panoramic image mosaic using a multi-resolution spline.
- A platform independent, multi-threaded fractal generator.
- A tool for creating free (as in beer only) custom images (buttons, banners, fonts, and ClipArt) for websites and email.
FreeMind - Free Mind Mapping Software
- A cross-platform application that helps the user organize, link, and integrate thoughts with special features including one-click "fold / unfold" and "follow link" operations.
- A small, configurable program that generates indices of pictures by creating thumbnails (mini versions of the pictures) and a set of HTML files. Latest release is 2.0, 2004-07-23.
GMT - The Generic Mapping Tools
- An open source collection of ~60 tools for manipulating geographic and Cartesian data sets (including filtering, trend fitting, gridding, projecting, etc.) and producing Encapsulated PostScript File (EPS) illustrations ranging from simple x-y plots via contour maps to artificially illuminated surfaces and 3-D perspective views. Latest release is 4.4.0, 2009-02-15.
Gifsicle: Animated GIFs for UNIX
- A UNIX command-line tool for creating, editing, and getting information about GIF images and animations. Latest release is 1.48, 2007-03-16.
- An advanced fractal generation program for GNOME. Latest stable release is 3.11, 2009-03-15.
- Graph visualization software; this is a way of representing structural information as diagrams of abstract graphs and networks.
Hugin - Panorama Tools GUI
- Cross-platform software to view, create, edit and remap panoramic images. Multilingual support is excellent with 20+ languages available. Based on Panorama Tools. Latest stable release is 2010.2.0, 2010-10-10.
- A free software suite to create, convert, edit, and compose bitmap images. Includes a section on command-line tools.
- A cross-platform, easy-to-use graphics application for digital painters. It lets the artist focus on the art instead of the program. There is detailed documentation as well as a wiki, forums, mailing list, and an IRC channel. Latest stable release is 0.9, 2010-11-02.
Open Clip Art Library
- A large archives of clip art for users of open source applications such as Inkscape.
- High dynamic-range (HDR) image file format for use in computer imaging applications.
- A collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world. The maps are created using data from portable GPS devices, aerial photography, and other free sources. Excellent multilingual support with 51 languages represented.
- A PHP-based image upload and management system, with thumbnail generation, slideshow mode and support for multiple users.
- An easy-to-use cross-platform GUI photo batch processor which handles all popular image formats and (sub) folder hierarchies. It has features such as resize, rotate, rename, shadows, watermarks, rounded corners, masks, and perspective.
- A cross-platform data recovery software tool designed to recover lost files from digital camera memory, hard disks and CDs/DVDs. This is a companion tool to TestDisk, a cross-platform data recovery utility. Also available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Latest stable release is 6.11.3, 2009-05-06
- A photoblogging application which comes with additional functionality via addons, so you can turn this software into a photo publishing platform.
- This is a stunning raw image processing application aimed at the more advanced user. Excellent multilingual support - available in 30+ languages. As of 2010-01 the developer switched the license from proprietary to GPLV3. Latest stable release is 2.4.1, 2009-09-03.
The gif2png home page
- Software to convert files from the Graphic Interchange Format (GIF) to the Portable Network Graphics (PNG).
The kalbum Homepage
- A KDE3 tool for creating albums from a collection of images with an easy-to-use thumbnail interface.
The sK1 Project
- An open source vector graphics editor for Linux. This is a fork of Skencil, which is no longer being developed. Other deriviative projects include: UniConvertor, a universal vector graphics translator; CDR Explorer, a research tool for CorelDraw file formats; and WMF format parser (pymfvu). Latest stable release is 0.9.0, 2009-05-09.
- A master list of all themes-related projects on Freshmeat.net. Each entry provides details of the project, license information, and a link to the home page.
- A framework to create, visualize, manipulate, and export large graphs. It enables 3D visualizations, 3D modifications, plugin support, support for clusters and navigation, and automatic graph drawing.
- Computer art software for children ages 3 to 12.
VYM (View Your Mind)
- VYM is a tool to generate and manipulate mind maps, which can help to improve creativity and efficiency. This application can be used for time management, project management, organizing tasks, and obtaining overviews of complex ideas. Also available in German. Latest release is 1.12.7, 2010-03-19.