- A compositing window manager that uses 3D graphics acceleration via OpenGL. A compositing window manager that uses 3D graphics acceleration via OpenGL. In 2009 this project and the Compiz Fusion project merged. Compiz Fusion is a plugin and a configuration system for Compiz.
- A lightweight window manager for Linux/X11 and others. It is also a whole suite of libraries to help create beautiful user interfaces. It covers uses from small mobile devices all the way to powerful multi-core desktops (which are the primary development environment) and runs on older hardware as well. Latest stble release is DR17, 1.0, 2011-01-01.
Fluxbox Window Manager
- An X11 window manager build for speed and flexibility. It's based on the Blackbox 0.61.1 code. Features include configurable window tabs, iconbar (for minimized/iconified windows), KDE support, and configurable title bar. Latest release is 0.14.0, 2011-02-17
- A flexible desktop environment around Fluxbox and other lightweight window managers.
- A fast, light-weight window manager. Latest version is 1.0.2, 2006-06-30.
- A full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells. Latest stable release is 4.03, 2008-08-08.
Icewm - The Cool Window Manager
- This window manager excels in look and feel while being lightweight, fast, optimized for usability, and customizable. Multilingual support if excellent - available in 25 languages. Latest stable release is 1.2.37, 2009-01-25.
- An innovative, tiling-tabbed window manager designed primarily to use from the keyboard. Successor to PWM window manager.
- An extensible window manager using a Lisp-based scripting language. All window decorations are configurable, and all user-interface policy is controlled through the extension language. Latest stable release is 1.5.0, 2009-07-03.
The Pekwm Homepage
- A window manager originally based on aewm++, but now doesn't resemble this at all; has an expanded feature-set, including window grouping (similar to ion, pwm, or fluxbox), autoproperties, xinerama, keygrabber that supports keychains. Latest stable release is 0.1.9a, 2008-12-22.
The Stump Window Manager
- A tiling, keyboard-driven X11 Window Manager written entirely in Common Lisp. It is customizable yet visually minimal with no window decorations, no icons, and no buttons. A successor to Ratpoison window manager.
The Window Maker FAQ
- A collection of questions and answers about Window Maker; questions are routinely taken and added in from the mailing lists and IRC forums.
The awesome Window Manager
- A small, fast window manager for the X Window System. It supports multiple layouts such as floating and tiling. It is primarly for power users, developers and anyone who wants fine-grained control on their graphical environment. It is a fork of the dwm window manager.
Window Maker - Your Next Window Manager
- An X11 window manager originally designed to provide integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment; includes compatibility options so it works with other desktop environments such as GNOME and KDE.
Window Managers for X
- Comprehensive guide to window managers and desktop environments for the X Window System; includes screenshots, comparisons, configuration files, news, resources and discussion about the major window managers.
- A basic window manager for X; has both tiled and traditional window management styles.
- A window manager for X based on wm2, but more experimental.