- This is one of the most user-friendly and lighweight text editors available for Linux. It's a clone of the Pico editor with many enhancements.
- A text editor using the GTK2 toolkit with basic features of an integrated development environment. It was developed to provide a small and fast IDE with only a few dependencies. Multilingual support is excellent with 20+ languages available. Latest release is 0.16, 2009-02-15.
- A cross-platform, collaborative text editor supporting multiple documents in one session as well as multi-user chat.
JOE - Joe's Own Editor
- A full-featured, terminal-based screen editor which has been in existence since 1988 and comes standard with many Linux distributions. Latest stable release is 3.7, 2008-11-03.
- A text editor with extensive support for Unicode and CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
NEdit - the Multi-Purpose X Window System Editor
- A fast, compact Motif/X11 plain text editor, for Linux/UNIX systems. Features significant support for programmers including syntax highlighting, macro language, and streamlined keyboard navigation. Latest stable release is 5.5, 2004-10-12.
The Elvis Text Editor
- A cross-platform vi/ex clone providing a number of bells and whistles including: syntax highlighting, multiple files in multiple windows, and networking support (http and ftp). Latest release is 2.2, 2003-10-21.
The JED Editor Home Page
- A text editor for Linux and many other platforms. This is a powerful editor which is ideal for composing simple email messages as well as editing complex programs in a variety of computer languages. Latest stable release is 0.99-18, 2006-04-02.
The jEdit - Programmer's Text Editor
- A programmer's text editor written in Java, and uses the Swing toolkit for the GUI. Can be configured as a powerful IDE through the use of its plugin architecture.
- A central repository of Vim documentation; includes help files in Bahasa Indonesia, French, Japanese, and Russian.
XEmacs: The next generation of Emacs
- A customizable open source text editor and application development system. Available in English, German, and Japanese. Latest stable release is 21.4.22, 2009-01-30.
- A text editor and development environment for Linux and other systems running the X11 window system.