42 of the Best Free Linux Scientific Software
- A compilation of the more notable Linux scientific software organized into broad subject categories. Each entry has a summary, license information, developer list, system requirements, and a link to the homepage. Last updated 2009-08-10.
- A Python module for creating publication-quality 2D scientific plots.
Calc - C-style Arbitrary Precision Calculator
- An interactive calculator which provides for easy, large numeric calculations, but which also can be easily programmed for difficult or long calculations. Latest stable release is 126.96.36.199, 2008-10-24.
- A cross-platform RPN and algebraic scientific calculator. Latest stable release is 1.3.18, 2007-08-18.
- Cross-platform planetarium and space simulation software with a database of 100,000+ stars, and a catalogue of more than 100 objects in the solar system. Latest release is 1.6.0, 2009-07-09.
- A real-time 3D visualization program for structural biology data.
EMAN Home Page
- A scientific image processing suite with Python language bindings. Latest stable release is 1.9, 2009-02-11.
Ensembl Genome Browser
- Publicly-available database of genomic information and a collection of open source tools used for analyzing genomic data from other public databases.
- Euclidean geometry drawing language for Linux. It can handle basic types of data including: numbers and strings, as well as geometric types of data: points, vectors, sets (of points), lines, circles, and conics. Latest release is 1.5.4, 2010-04-26.
- A quick way to visualize regularly spaced 4D data, i.e., a data set that is a function of x, y, z, and time. Latest version is 0.40, 2003-01-14.
GMT - The Generic Mapping Tools
- An open source collection of ~60 tools for manipulating geographic and Cartesian data sets (including filtering, trend fitting, gridding, projecting, etc.) and producing Encapsulated PostScript File (EPS) illustrations ranging from simple x-y plots via contour maps to artificially illuminated surfaces and 3-D perspective views. Latest release is 4.4.0, 2009-02-15.
GNU/Linux Aviation HOWTO; Flying with GNU/Linux
- This document provides pointers to software packages that run under GNU/Linux and are useful to pilots (private, commercial or military), airlines, airports or anyone else in the aeronautical domain. (2006) N.B. Some links in the document no longer work, but most of the information is still OK nonetheless. (2009)
Genius Math tool and the GEL Language
- Genius is a general purpose calculator program that is useful both as a simple calculator and as a research or educational tool. Latest release is 1.0.9, 2009-12-23.
- A cross-platform, interactive, mathematics software that joins geometry, algebra and calculus. Primarily used for education in secondary schools. Internationalization is excellent with 40+ languages available. Latest stable release is 188.8.131.52, 2010-07-25.
- A graphic interface for creating and solving problems in 3D geometry. It comes with excellent documentation and an extensive repository of sample figures, problems, and solutions making it an excellent choice for teachers. Also available in French, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, and Spanish. Latest release is 3.1, 2010-11-02.
I, Librarian - Scientific PDF Article Manager
- A GPLed software application that builds Web-based annotated libraries of scientific PDF articles (up to a 100,000 fully annotated PDF files can be accomodated). This tool is a great boon to researchers who need to collect, organize, and annotate bibliographic references.
INDI - Instrument-Neutral Distributed Interface
- An instrument-neutral distributed interface control protocol that provides backend driver support and automation for a wide range of astronomical devices including telescopes and CCDs. Latest stable release is 0.5, 2007-05-04.
- A KDE suite of open source flight planning and analysis programs for gliders.
KSEG - Simulator of Euclidean Geometry
- A free (GPL) interactive geometry program for exploring Euclidean geometry. It runs on UNIX/Linux-based platforms. Excellent multilingual support - available in 15+ languages. Latest release is 0.403, 2006-02-03.
- An application for interactive geometric construction, allowing students to draw and explore mathematical figures and concepts using the computer. Kig is part of the KDE 4 education module
- A 2D/3D data and functions plotting and visualization program. Also available in German.
MIT Photonic-Bands Home Page
- The MIT Photonic-Bands (MPB) package is a free program for computing the band structures (dispersion relations) and electromagnetic modes of periodic dielectric structures, on both serial and parallel computers. Latest release is 1.4.2, 2003-03-03.
MathGL - Library for Scientific Graphics
- A cross-platform, scientific graphics plotting library. Website also available in French and Russian; documentation also available in Russian. Latest release is 1.11.2, 2011-08-22.
Mathomatic Home Page
- A small, portable Computer Algebra System (CAS) written entirely in the C programming language. It is a console-mode application that does symbolic math and quick calculations in a standard and generalized way. Translated into Iranian, Italian, Russian, and Spanish. Latest release is 15.0.7, 2010-04-15.
- A Matlab-style Python 2D plotting package. Latest stable release is 1.0.0, 2010-07-06.
- A cross-platform application for the manipulation of symbolic and numerical expressions. It is a descendant of acsyma, the legendary computer algebra system developed in the late 1960s at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Also available in Russian and Spanish. Latest release is 5.20.1, 2009-12-14.
NCBI BLAST Home Page
- BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool) is one of the most popular open source software tool in bioinformatics.
Nightfall Eclipsing Binary Star Program
- An astronomy application for fun, education, and science. It can produce animated views of eclipsing binary stars, calculate synthetic lightcurves and radial velocity curves, and eventually determine the best-fit model for a given set of observational data of an eclipsing binary star system. It is, however, not able to fry your breakfast egg on your harddisk. :-( Site also available in German. Latest release is 1.70,2009-06-02.
OSGeo | Your Open Source Compass
- The Open Source Geospatial Foundation hosts and supports high-quality open source geospatial software projects related to remote sensing, GIS, mapping and advanced image processing.
- A high-performance open source software system for remote sensing, geographical information systems (GIS), image processing, and photogrammetry.
Open Visualization Data Explorer
- Open source visualization software package based on IBM's Visualization Data Explorer. Latest release is 4.4.4, 2006-08-30. N.B.: Users must fill out a personal information form to obtain the source code. This software is licensed under the OSI-approved IBM Public License, which is incompatible with the GPL license.
- Making scientists more aware of open source software and the benefits to them. Site also contains a science-related software resource list.
- An application to display the current, local weather on your webpage; available in multiple languages. Current stable release is: 2.2.2, 2004-06-24.
PLplot Home Page
- PLplot is a cross-platform, scientific graphics plotting library. It can be used from within compiled languages such as C, C++, FORTRAN and Java, and interactively from interpreted languages such as Octave, Python, Perl and Tcl. Latest development release is 5.9.7, 2010-10-10.
- An industrial strength, interactive, mono- or stereoscopic viewer for 4-dimensional datasets. This application is used by astronomers for interpreting and analyzing large collections of data on the universe.
Ploticus - Welcome
- A cross-platform, non-interactive software package for producing plots, charts, and graphics from data. Latest stable release is 2.4.0, 2008-01-15.
- A cross-platform data analysis and scientific plotting application. It is similar to Origin or SigmaPlot (both proprietary software applications). Latest stable release is 0.9.7.10, 2009-10-08.
SAGE: Open Source Mathematics Software
- A Free and Open Source software application for studying a huge range of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, elementary to advanced number theory, cryptography, numerical computation, graph theory, and exact linear algebra. It also has interfaces to non-free software (e.g., MAGMA, Maple, Mathematica).
- A computer algebra system for polynomial computations with special emphasis on the needs of commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, and singularity theory. This project has a long history dating back to 1987. Latest release is 3.1.2, 2010-10-19.
- A cross-platform sail plotting package for designing and developing boat sails into flat panels.
- The purpose of this organization is to encourage scientific innovation by promoting legal and technical mechanisms that remove barriers to accessing and sharing scientific information.
- A collection of Python modules that are useful for scientific computing. Latest stable release is 2.8, 2008-10-28.
Scilab Home Page
- Scientific software package for numerical computations providing a powerful open computing environment for engineering and scientific application. N.B.: For versions prior to 5.0 the license is non-free (free for non-commercial use and commercial use but code cannot be modified). For later releases the license is GPL-compatible. Latest stable release is 5.2.0, 2009-12-17.
SkyView Virtual Observatory
- A virtual observatory on the Net generating images of any part of the sky at wavelengths in all regimes from Radio to Gamma-Ray.
- A project that uses an open hardware design as well as open source software as a platform for wireless remote control and sensing.
Stellarium Astronomy Software
- A cross-platform desktop planetarium, which renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real time with OpenGL; its ease-of-use is a big advantage. Latest release is 0.10.2, 2009-03-09.
The Gerris Flow Solver
- This is a program for the solution of the partial differential equations describing fluid flow.
The KDE Edutainment Project - KStars
- A desktop planetarium for KDE. It provides an accurate graphical simulation of the night sky, from any location on Earth, at any date and time. The display includes ~100 million stars, 13,000 deep-sky objects, all 8 planets, the Sun and Moon, and thousands of comets and asteroids. Latest release is 1.5, 2009-01-29.
The OpenScience Project
- Dedicated to writing and releasing free and Open Source scientific software. Software database organized by subject categories.
- This code computes sunrise and sunset times.
XTide: Harmonic Tide Clock and Tide Predictor
- XTide is a package that provides tide and current predictions in a wide variety of formats. Graphs, text listings, and calendars can be generated, or a tide clock can be provided on the desktop. Latest release is 2.9.4, 2007-09-03.
- A fast interactive real-time fractal zoomer and morpher.
- Xplanet was inspired by Xearth, which renders an image of the earth into the X root window. Xplanet can also render images of the other planets and some satellites. Latest stable release is 1.2.1, 2009-04-18.
Yacas - Yet Another Computer Algebra System
- An easy-to-use general purpose computer algebra system. It uses its own programming language designed for symbolic as well as arbitrary-precision numerical computations. Latest stable release is 1.2.0, 2007-09-21.
Yorick: An Interpreted Scientific Programming Language
- An interpreted programming language for scientific simulations or calculations, postprocessing or steering large simulation codes, interactive scientific graphics, and reading, writing, or translating large files of numbers.