- A cross-platform file backup tool. Some of the features include data compression & encryption, incremental backup, file history explorer, archives merges / deletion, and a transaction mechanism which guarantees backup integrity. Translated into 14 languages. Latest stable release is 7.1.5, 2009-08-24.
- An open source, completely automatic on-line backup system for Linux and UNIX. Backups are encrypted, and changed files uploaded using an rsync-like changes-only algorithm.
- A Python package that supports backups of files on local and remote hosts to CD-R or CD-RW media over a secure network connection.
DAR - Disk ARchive
- An archiving tool and a replacement for tar with features such as: archive merging, compression, directory tree snapshots, differential backup,filters, and slices.
- This is a data recovery tool that copies data from a file orhardware device that contains data to another place, making every effort to rescue data in the event of read errors. Also available in Spanish. Latest stable release is 1.13, 2010-08-28.
Make CD-ROM Recovery (mkCDrec)
- Makes a bootable (El Torito) disaster recovery image (CDrec.iso), including backups of the Linux system to the same CD-ROM (or CD-RW) if space permits, or to a multi-volume CD-ROM set. Supports 2.2.x, 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels. Latest release is 0.9.9, 2008-09-05.
- Disaster recovery software for Linux; does backups to tape, CD-R, CD-RW, NFS or hard disk partition. Latest version is 188.8.131.52, 2010-02-07.
- A Linux backup application which provides an easy way to backup a large number of files to multiple CDs or DVDs. Latest release is 1.7.5, 2005-07-02.
- A 40 MB live CD/USB/PXE (Preboot Execution Environment) distribution primarily designed for partitioning hard drives. It also can be used for system rescue, and includes an extensive collection of filesystem tools.
- A cross-platform file and archive manager which features volume spanning, data compression, and authenticated encryption. Internationalization is excellent with translations available in 20+ languages.
- A cross-platform data recovery software tool designed to recover lost files from digital camera memory, hard disks and CDs/DVDs. This is a companion tool to TestDisk, a cross-platform data recovery utility. Also available in Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Latest stable release is 6.11.3, 2009-05-06
- Software to back up one disk to another; creates incremental backups.
- This is a simple utility inspired by rsync and the Plan9 way of doing backups. It does not backup anything; it only prints a list of the names of files that have changed since the last backup. It also handles files that are removed, allowing for correct incremental backups. Latest release is 1.0.2, 2009-08-14.
- A software backup application for Linux and UNIX systems which synchronizes files and directories from one location to another while minimizing data transfer using delta encoding (a way of storing or transmitting data in the form of differences between sequential data rather than complete files) when appropriate.
- A centralized, command-line backup application that combines the best features of a mirror and an incremental backup.
Simple Linux Backup Software
- An easy-to-use program for backing up a desktop Linux system. It has a friendly user interface. Also available in French and Turkish.
- This is the ultimate, cross-platform system rescue power tool based on the Gentoo distribution, and comes with tons of features for every eventuality. Also available in French and Spanish.
- A cross-platform data recovery utility. It was primarily designed to help recover lost data storage partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally erasing a partition table). Also available in French, German, and Spanish. Latest stable release is 6.11.3, 2009-05-06. N.B.: TestDisk comes with PhotoRec, a companion data recovery software tool designed to recover lost files from digital camera memory, hard disks and CDs/DVDs.
The dvdbackup Homepage
- A tool to rip DVDs from the command line. Internationalization is excellent with many translations available, including French, Galician, Italian, Russian, and Spanish.