3D Game and Graphics Engines Database
- A handy resource site for game development information. It includes a searchable 3D engine database, tutorials, articles, reviews, IRC chat network, and forums.
Allegro - A Game Programming Library
- A cross-platform library intended for use in computer games and other types of multimedia programming. A multilingual site. Latest stable release is 4.2.2, 2007-07-24.
ClanLib Game SDK
- A cross-platform C++ toolkit library which offers a series of different functionality under a streamlined API. Its primary focus is on games, although not limited for that usage only. Latest release is 0.8.1, 2008-03-11.
Crystal Space 3D
- A free cross-platform software development kit for real-time 3D graphics. Latest stable release is 1.2.1, 2008-05-05.
- A project to recreate Ultima 7 for modern operating systems, using the game's original plot, data, and graphics files. It also has a map editor and other tools for creating individual mods and games. Latest release is 1.2, 2004-06-21.
- A cross-platform, open source, high-performance, real-time 3D engine. It uses D3D, OpenGL and its own software renderer, and has all of the state-of-the-art features which can be found in commercial 3D engines. Latest stable release is 1.6, 2009-11-20.
Steve's Portable Game Library Page
- PLIB includes sound effects, music, a complete 3D engine, font rendering, a simple Windowing library, a game scripting language, a GUI, networking, 3D math library and a collection of handy utility functions. All are 100% portable across nearly all modern computing platforms. Latest stable release is 1.8.5, 2006-10-27.
- A framework for developing turn-based space-empire-building 4X strategy games.
- A multi-player Internet space combat gaming system. Latest release is 2.6.1, 2008-06-23.
Xconq - Empire Style Strategy Game
- A general strategy game system that includes all the components for a complete game system: a portable engine, graphical interfaces for Unix/Linux/X11, MacOS, and Windows, multiple AIs, networking for multi-player games, and an extensive game library. Latest release (pre-release packages) is 7.5, 2004-05-20.
- An open source game engine. It is a non-commercial, multiplayer first-person shooter game based on a heavily modified Quake 3 Arena engine (id Tech 3).