Cacti: The Complete RRDTool-based Graphing Solution
- A cross-platform, network management tool front-end to RRDTool (Round Robin Database), which is a system to store and display time-series data such as network bandwidth, machine-room temperature, and server load average.
- Chef manages a large number of systems via a collection of "recipes" or code to define a configuration. It's basically a systems integration framework, built to bring the benefits of configuration management to your entire network
- A collection of clustering tools to allow simple administration of groups of *NIX/BSD machines; also can be used to facilitate parallel shell scripting, and compiling.
Dante - A Free Socks Implementation
- A circuit-level firewall/proxy for convenient and secure network connectivity to multiple hosts; also provides detailed access control and logging facilities to the server administrator.
EtherApe, a graphical network monitor
- A graphical network monitor modeled after etherman; features Ethernet, IP, TCP, FDDI and Token Ring modes; displays network activity graphically.
Func: Fedora Unified Network Controller
- A tool to help streamline system administration on multiple computer systems. It is also a framework for doing two-way secure communication, from the command line, scripts, or applications.
GANYMEDE: GASH 2
- A portable and customizable network directory management system.
Ganglia Monitoring System
- A scalable distributed monitoring system for high-performance computing systems such as clusters and grids; supports clusters up to 2000 nodes. Latest stable release is 3.1.7, 2010-03-08.
Insecure.Org -- Nmap Security Scanner
- Stealth port scanner for network security auditing, general internet exploration & hacking. Designed to rapidly scan large networks, although it works fine against single hosts. Latest stable release is 5.0, 2009-07-05.
Internet Software Consortium - DHCP
- The latest version of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is available here. DHCP is an Internet protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP.
MRTG: The Multi Router Traffic Grapher
- A cross-platform SNMP network device monitor (and a whole variety of other network devices) which can draw pretty pictures showing how much traffic has passed through each interface. Latest stable release is 2.16.3, 2008-05-16.
- MTR combines the functionality of the 'traceroute' and 'ping' programs in a single network diagnostic tool. Latest release is 0.80, 2010-07-12.
Mon- Service Monitoring Daemon
- A general purpose scheduler and alert management tool used for monitoring service availability and triggering alerts upon failure detection.
- A utility for managing and monitoring, processes, files, directories and devices on Linux and UNIX systems.
NUT: Network UPS Tools
- A cross-platform, open source UPS management project designed to monitor and shutdown multiple UPSes from different manufacturers with a small set of programs. The project monitors every kind of UPS, given sufficient interest. Last release is 2.2.2, 2008-05-07.
- A host, service and network monitoring program. Continues NetSaint Network Monitor. Latest stable release is 3.0.1, 2008-04-01.
- A network management tool that tracks machine uptime, outage and usage information.
- A cross-categorical, multi-purpose software for monitoring and configuring computer systems, administering networks, and organizing system security. Latest release is 1.19.0, 2007-09-10.
Portable SDK for UPnP Devices
- A Portable Open Source UPnP Development Kit which provides developers with an API and open source code for building control points, devices, and bridges that are compliant with Version 1.0 of the Universal Plug and Play Device Architecture Specification. A fork of the Linux SDK for UPnP Devices (libupnp) project. Latest stable release is 1.6.6, 2008-04-26.
- An automated configuration management system for system administration tasks. Latest stable release is 0.25.0, 2009-09-04.
The GNU Netcat -- Official Homepage
- A cross-platform "Swiss Army Knife" network management tool with many features including a debugging tool, built-in port-scanning capabilities, and tunneling mode which allows special tunneling such as UDPto TCP.
- A cross-platform network management tool for troubleshooting, analysis, software and protocol development, and education. Previously known as Ethereal. Latest stable release is 1.2.5, 2009-12-17.
iTALC - Intelligent Teaching And Learning with Computers
- A cross-platform education tool for teachers. It allows the user to monitor and control computers in labs, and interact with students using these computers. Also available in French, German, Italian, Norwegian, and Spanish.