- A BitTorrent client with added features such as: upload/download speed limitation; prioritised downloading when downloading batches (several files); and detailed information about connections to other peers. It's written in Python for platform independence.
- A command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, TFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FILE and LDAP.
Deluge BitTorrent Client
- A cross-platform, BitTorrent client with a wide-array of features including a Web UI (User Interface), BitTorrent protocol encryption, and mainline DHT (Distributed Hash Tables).
- A Java-based file sharing and messaging client for Freenet.
- Freenet is free software which allows the user to anonymously share files, browse and publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and chat on forums, without fear of censorship. Also available in Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Swedish. Latest stable release is 0.7.5, 2010-04-23.
- A non-commercial, open source, peer-to-peer network of legal live music created by fans for fans.
- A framework for secure peer-to-peer networking that does not use any centralized or otherwise trusted services. Latest release is 0.8.0, 2008-06-14.
GPU: Global Processing Unit
- A Gnutella client that allows users to share CPU-resources; cluster software for P2P computing. The developers support and encourage peaceful, free and open research. Also available in French, German, and Italian.
- A Gnutella forum site organized by subject areas; some forums available in Dutch, French, German, and Spanish.
- A graphical Unix/Linux Gnutella client; available in many languages.
- A cross-platform file-sharing program which runs on the Gnutella Network. Latest release is 3.4.2, 2009-02-01
- Distributed network computing using peer-to-peer (P2P) topology.
- Gnutella and OpenSource P2P Net file-sharing client. Also available in German. Latest release is 0.7.0, 2004-05-27. N.B.: This application is still receiving lots of hits and downloads @ SourceForge (2009).
- A software backup application for Linux and UNIX systems which synchronizes files and directories from one location to another while minimizing data transfer using delta encoding (a way of storing or transmitting data in the form of differences between sequential data rather than complete files) when appropriate.
- Download technology that enables the user to participate in a distributed grid to provide fast downloads over broadband networks.
- A secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant file system. It is encrypted and spread over multiple peers in such a way that it remains available even when some of the peers are unavailable, malfunctioning, or malicious. Latest release is 1.82, 2011-01-30.
The libTorrent and rTorrent Project
- rTorrent is an ncurses client for BitTorrent which uses the libtorrent library. The client and library are written in C++ with emphasis on speed and efficiency while delivering equivalent features to those found in GUI-based clients.
- A lightweight and fast multi-platform BitTorrent client. This application strikes a good balance between useful functionality and feature bloat. Latest release is 1.91, 2010-02-21.
- A Linux torrent tracker database which specializes in Linux distributions and Linux virtual machines.
- An open source cross platform client for the Direct Connect network (a community-oriented, open, user-controlled, peer-to-peer (P2P) network).
Vuze - BitTorrent Client
- An advanced multiplatform BitTorrent client written in Java that includes a tracker and a torrent maker components needed to run a BitTorrent solution. Internationalization is excellent: available in ~ 40 languages. Latest release is 4404, 2010-05-08. Formerly called Azureus.
- A Java plugin-based peer-to-peer (P2P) framework and client including an OpenNap plugin with multiple server support, as well as Gnutella, giFT (OpenFT), IRC, ICQ and an OverNet plugin. Latest release is 2.5r3, 2004-06-20.
giFT: Internet File Transfer
- A collection of various software components geared towards improving the overall usability of peer-to-peer file-sharing networks.