42 of the Best Free Linux Email Software
- A useful compilation of Linux email organized into broad subject areas. Each entry has a summary, license information, developer list, system requirements, and a link to the homepage. Last updated 2009-08-09.
AMaViS - A Mail Virus Scanner
- A script that interfaces a mail transport agent (MTA) with virus scanners. Latest stable release is 0.3.12, 2003-03-06.
- A tool for archiving and compressing old email in mailboxes. It moves messages older than the specified number of days to a separate mbox format mailbox that is compressed with gzip. It can also be used as a backup tool.
- An integrated mail, addressbook, and calendaring functionality for the GNOME desktop. Latest release is 2.28.2, 2009-12-13.
- X user interface to MH mail. Latest release is 2.7.2, 2004-01-07.
Fetchmail Home Page
- A full-featured and robust remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility. Latest release is 6.3.8, 2007-04-06.
- An extensible program that downloads mail from webmail portals through the POP3 protocol. It can also be used as an RSS/Atom aggregator. Also available in Italian. Latest release is 0.2.7, 2008-06-11.
- A fast mail application for GNUstep and Mac OS X. Latest release is 1.2.Opre 3, 2007-02-05.
- A denial-of-service counter measure tool; primarily a spam management tool using a hascash stamp, but also can be used for protecting wikis from defacement.
- A full-featured, multilingual webmail program. Latest stable release is 0.9, 2005-04-15.
KMail - KDE UserBase
- KMail is the email component of Kontact, the integrated personal information manager from KDE. Multilingual support is excellent with 12+ langugages available.
KShowMail - the Human Spam Filter
- A POP3 mail checker for the KDE with these features: show number, size and more information about the mail messages on POP3 servers in a list view; show the mail headers or complete mail message, delete unwanted mail from the server by configurable filters. Latest stable release is 188.8.131.52, 2007-08-05.
- Add-on software to the phpBB forum system which combines the functionality of a mailing list system and a phpBB forum in order to add bi-directional communication. Latest release is 1.2.6, 2007-03-09.
- Open WebMail is designed to manage large mail folder files in a memory-efficient way. It also provides a range of features to help users migrate smoothly from Microsoft Outlook to Open WebMail. Originally based on Neomail version 1.14 from Ernie Miller. Latest release is 2.52, 2008-01-24.
POPFile Home Page
- Automatic mail classification tool. An automatic mail classification tool. Latest stable release is 1.0.1, 2008-05-26. Available in English, Norwegian, German, Portuguese (Brazilian), French, Spanish and Danish.
Pine Information Center
- Pine (a Program for Internet News & Email) is one of the original email clients; developed by University of Washington. A great command-line email client with outstanding documentation.
- A wealth of online resources about Postfix can be found here including the source code and excellent documentation.
- Python-based spam detector and blocker. Latest release is 0.5.0, 2009-05-07.
- This is the official website maintained by the Qmail developer.
Qmail-Scanner - A Content Scanner for Qmail
- An email content scanner that enables a Qmail email server to scan all email it receives for certain characteristics (normally viruses), and react accordingly. Currently supports English, Italian, Afrikaans, Polish, Swedish, Czech, German, Spanish, Turkish, Lithuanian, French, Portuguese, Dutch, and Chinese messages. Latest stable release is 2.05, 2008-07-09.
- A web interface for managing a qmail system with virtual domains.
- A comprehensive Qmail installation resource.
Roundcube - Free Webmail for the Masses
- A browser-based, multilingual (67 languages) IMAP client with an application-like user interface which provides full functionality such as MIME support, contacts, and spell checking. Latest stable release is 0.4, 2010-08-07.
SYMPA - mailing list manager
- An open source mailing list software, which is highly customizable, easy to administer, and translated into 20+ languages. Latest stable release is 6.0, 2009-10-01
- A mail transfer agent (MTA) that is a well-known project of the open source, free software and Linux/UNIX communities. Distributed both as free software and proprietary software.
- One of the more well-known, open source spam filtering programs for Linux and other operating systems. Latest stable release is 3.3.0, 2010-01-27
- An information and wiki for SpamAssasin, an open source spam filtering programs for Linux and other operating systems.
SquirrelMail - Webmail for Nuts!
- A lightweight and user-friendly email client; available in English and Japanese. Latest stable release is 2.7.1, 2009-08-13.
The MIMEDefang HOWTO
- A comprehensive guide to installing a Linux (or BSD derivative, or UNIX) system-based mail server with sendmail, MIMEDefang, spam filtering software, and anti-virus software. (2008)
The Mutt E-Mail Client
- A small and powerful text-based mail client. Translated into 20 languages. Latest stable release is 1.4.2, 2007-06-09. Latest development release is 184.108.40.206, 2009-06-14.
The Postfix Home Page
- Modern and secure mail server software; a replacement for Sendmail. Check the documentation section -- it is excellent.
The SeaMonkey Project
- An all-in-one Internet apppliance suite which includes a Web browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing. It has excellent localization support. Latest stable release is 2.0, 2009-10-27. This is the successor to the Mozilla Application Suite.
The nmh - New Message Handler
- An email handling system that consists of a collection of simple, single-purpose programs to send, receive, save, retrieve, and manipulate email messages. Latest stable release is 1.2, 2005-12-20. Latest development release is 1.3, 2008-04-27.
Thunderbird Mail Project Page
- The Mozilla Thunderbird Mail Project is a a cross-platform standalone email client. A redesign of the original Mozilla email client. Latest stable release is 3.0, 2009-12-08.