A Quick Guide to GPLv3 - Free Software Foundation
- This guide provides developers with an easy-to-understand overview of the major changes in the revised license. It goes through each new feature one by one, clearly describing how it works. Also available in PDF or reStructuredText (tarball) formats. (2009)
- The FOSSology Project is built around an open and modular architecture for analyzing software. Existing modules include license analysis, meta data extraction, and MIME type identification. It analyzes a given set of software packages (it looks at every file within the package) and reports items such as the software licenses used by these packages. Latest release is 1.2.0, 2010-07-08.
GPL Violations Project
- This project raises awareness of infringing uses of GPL software and acts as an information clearinghouse for reporting and dealing with violations.
Groklaw - GPL Resources
- An excellent resource site for information about the General Public License (GPL). Includes links to Groklaw articles, information on the GPLv1, GPLv2, and the GPLv3 (including the preliminary drafts), legal cases, history of GPL development, and relevant external resources.
Lizenz Center, license list
- Extensive list of Free Software/Open Source and Open Content licenses organized by type of license; site available in English and German.
Make Your Open Source Software GPL-Compatible. Or Else
- David Wheeler calls on developers of Free-libre / open source software to use an existing widely-used license compatible with the General Public License (GPL). He also writes about the dangers of FLOSS license proliferation. (2002, updated 2009-10-06)
Open Source License Law Resource Center
- Numerous links to open source license law for law professionals working on projects involving open source licenses and people working on open source software programs needing information on legal issues.
The H Open Source: The GPL - Not Fade Away
- An excellent article that looks at the arguments for and against abandoning the GPL license, the basic principles of the license, and the historical context out of which this license was created. (2009)