Control-Escape: Alternative Software, Linux Help
- The aim of this website is to foster, educate and expand the Open Software community; assists computer users in taking CONTROL of their computing environment and ESCAPE the clutches of proprietary software. There is a guide to assist with learning Linux. A little dated, but still contains useful stuff.
- For new Debian users, but site also has general beginner information. A little dated - documents seem to be mainly from 2007, but still contains useful information.
- Promotes the use of Linux and freedom (from restrictive software licenses) for everyday users. A site to visit for those thinking of switching to Linux or have already decided to use Linux and want to learn more. Excellent multilingual support -- available in many different languages.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
- A detailed guide on how to ask technical questions that will result in a satisfactory answer. Useful for all levels of Linux users. Translated into many languages. (2008)
Learning Linux dot com
- A site for the beginner and experts wanting to learn more and share their experiences with other Linux users.
Linux Distribution Guide
- A brief guide to the world of Linux distributions, primarily aimed at individuals who are new to Linux. (2008)
Linux Newbie Administrator Guide
- A complete reference guide for new Linux users who wish to set up and administer their own Linux home computer, workstation or home network. Translated into many languages. A little dated (2004), but most of the information is still useful.
- This site is aimed primarily at those who are either Linux beginners or are thinking about using Linux. It has forums, HOWTOs, tips, reviews, and news.
Linux.ie :: The Beginners Linux Guide
- An extensive guide for Linux beginners published by the Irish Linux Users Group. This document was last updated in 2005, which is somewhat dated, but a lot of the information is still useful. N.B.: some of the links do not work.
LinuxDevCenter Article - "What Is Linux"
- An excellent summary article about Linux; covers the basics of what it is, its features, distributions, the Linux desktop, getting and installing Linux and obtaining support. This article is particularly suitable for beginners. (2005) This article is still helpful to beginners today (2009).
LinuxQuestions.org - Where newbies Come for Help!
- One of the best Linux sites for beginners (and all others as well); site contains forums, a hardware capatibility list, Linux distribution and book reviews, a Linux wiki, tutorials, and a distribution download area.
Polishlinux.org - GNU/Linux For Everyone
- A helpful site for Linux beginners; includes up-to-date information and reviews on Linux distributions, tools for selecting a distribution, articles on desktop Linux including descriptions of new applications, a "How to switch to Linux" guide, news, and forums. Available in English and Polish.
The Linux Information Project (LINFO) Home Page
- This project, started and managed by the Bellevue Linux Users Group (BELUG), is dedicated to providing high quality, comprehensive and easily accessible information about Linux and other free software. The user can find HOWTOs on a wide variety of subjects as well as information on Linux commands and advocacy.
- A Linux newbie help site which has everything a Linux beginner needs to get comfortable with Linux including: the basics of the command line, helpful tutorials on many Linux-related subjects, distribution information, tips, and links to other sites.