- The official Ancient Domains of Mystery website. A detailed RPG (role-playing game) with with hundreds of levels, randomly generated anew for each game; 200 combinations of races and classes; and more than 600 items, 400 monsters, dozens of quests.
- A GPLed, cross-platform, first-person shooter game. This game focuses mainly on online multi-player action. Latest stable release is 7.5.0, 2010-12-16. This is the 2011 edition of Alien Arena.
- A multi-player online games framework and engine to develop turn-based and real-time games.
Asteroids3D Home Page
- A first person shooter for Linux inspired by Asteroids and The Empire Strikes Back. Latest release is 0.5.1, 2008-04-06.
BZFlag Home Page
- A cross-platform, multi-player 3D tank battle game. Latest release is 2.0.12, 2008-06-25.
- A fly-eating frog video game. It is a clone of the 1982 Frog Bog video game. Latest release is 0.1.4, 2010-05-16.
- A special version of the Andrew Johnson's Battalion game written in 1994; site available in English and Spanish.
- For the lovers of shoot-'em-up games, check out this 2D arcade-style game for Linux. Also available in Italian and Romanian.
Battle for Wesnoth
- A brilliant fantasy, turn-based strategy game for Linux and other platforms. The music is wonderful, the graphics and visualization are top-notch, and the game-play and features are very good, too. This is a "must have" download for serious gamers. Guaranteed to keep you busy for days -- even weeks!! Latest stable release is 1.8.4, 2010-08-08.
BlackHoleSun Software, Inc.
- A selection of Linux games: Krilo (action-packed puzzles), Bunnies (funny player mayhem) and Aftermath (racing destruction).
Blob Wars - Metal Blob Solid
- A platform game structured in levels and organized into missions; purpose is to rescue missing in action soldiers from alien clutches. Latest stable release is 1.11, 2009-11-16.
- A cross-platform, futuristic real-time strategy game (RTS). Latest stable release is 2.6.1, 2010-04-18.
- A burger-smashing video game. It is a clone of the 1982 BurgerTime video game by Data East. Latest release is 1.9.0, 2010-05-16
Bygfoot : A Football Management Game for Linux
- A football (aka soccer) manager game for Linux; features international leagues & cups, management of all aspects of a team and the home stadium; team and country customization available as well.
- A Unix-based client for connection to an Internet go server that uses protocols similar to the one used by IGS, the Internet Go Server; also functions as a SGF (Smart Game Format) browser that allows viewing and editing go game records. Latest release is 1.9.14, 2003-01-05.
ClanBomber - Bomberman Like game
- A free (GPL), cross-platform Bomberman-like multi-player game that uses ClanLib, a free multi-platform C++ game SDK. Latest stable release for ClanBomber 2 is 0.91, 2007-10-15.
Cosmosmash Home Page
- A space rock shooting video games. A clone of the 1981 Astrosmash video game. Latest release is 1.4.5, 2010-05-16.
- A free OpenGL game for Linux. This game is based on the Super Nintendo classic, Tetris Attack. Latest release is 1.1.10, 2003-10-16.
- A turn-based strategy game set in the future on another planet.
Critical Mass (aka Critter)
- An SDL/OpenGL space shoot'em up arcade game and SDL/OpenGL 3D falling block game. Latest release 1.02, 2005-07-15.
Cube Engine Games
- This is the homepage for all games based on the cube engine. Games included are: Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Cube 2: Eisenstern, Cube (the original game that started it all), and AssaultCube. These are first person shooter engine developed specifically for Linux.
- Descent 2 for Linux. Continues D1X Project.
- A cross-platform, drug-dealing game based on "Drug Wars" by John E. Dell. Latest release 1.5.12, 2005-12-30.
Enigma: A Puzzle Game
- A puzzle game involving falling blocks, exploding bombs, and pushing stuff around, with elements of Boulderdash and elements of Sokoban included. Latest release is 1.04, 2004-02-29.
Fish Fillets - Next Generation
- A Linux port of a puzzle game, Fish Fillets, from ALTAR; support for English, Czech, French, German, Italian, and Polish languages.
Flight Gear Flight Simulator
- An open source, multi-platform flight simulator. The goal of this project is to create a sophisticated flight simulator framework for use in research or academic environments, for the development and pursuit of other interesting flight simulation ideas, and as an end-user application. Website also available in French, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish.
FooBillard Ports Page
- A free OpenGL billard game for Linux with realistic physics, an AI-player and many game types such as pool, carambol, or snooker. Latest stable release is 2.9, 2010-08-02. N.B.: http://foobillard.sunsite.dk/ no longer hosts Foobillard.
- A cross-platform, turn-based strategy game based on the old game, Colonization. The objective of the game is to create an independent nation starting with only a few colonists defying the stormy seas in their search for new land. Have fun while you guide them on the Colonization of a New World. Internationalization is excellent with translations available in 34 languages. Latest stable release is 0.9.5, 2010-10-04.
- A cross-platform, turn-based, futuristic science fiction computer strategy game. The purpose of the game is to lead one of a number of races to dominate the galaxy through a combination of diplomacy and conquest while developing technology, exploring and colonizing star systems. Latest stable release is 0.3.15, 2010-08-04.
Freeciv - Civilization clone
- A free and open source empire-building strategy game inspired by the history of human civilization. The game commences in prehistory and the mission is to lead your tribe from the stone age to the space age and beyond... Latest stable release is 2.2.4, 2010-12-07.
Frets On Fire
- A cross-platform game of musical skill and fast fingers. The aim of the game is to play guitar with the keyboard as accurately as possible. This is a hugely popular game with lots of community participation.
- An arcade game. Internationalization is excellent, with 25+ languages available. Latest stable release is 2.2.0, 2008-12-08.
- A cross-platform suite of educational software for children aged 2 to 10. Available in over 40 languages. Latest release is 9.0, 2010-01-03.
GGZ Gaming Zone
- Available in English, German and Portuguese; Continues NetSpades (http://www-ece.rice.edu/~brentmh/spades/).
- An Internet publishing label for independent games and game developers; a variety of Linux games are available.
- A cross-platform, customizable, 3D real-time strategy game where players control the armies of two different factions: Tech, which is mainly composed of warriors and mechanical devices: and Magic, which prefers mages and summoned creatures in the battlefield. Glest is not just a game, but also an engine to make strategy games, based on XML and a set of tools. Site also available in Galician and Spanish. Latest release is 3.2.2, 2009-04-03.
- A real-time strategy game which can be played on a LAN or over the Internet. Website also available in Czech, German, French, and Spanish.
- This is a turn-based strategy game which features armies of hedgehogs with all sorts of weapons at their disposal for complete destruction. Each turn is time-based so it's best to just blast away! Latest release is 0.911, 2009-05-24.
- A port of Raven Software's popular Hexen 3-D shooter game.
Intelligent Tetris (ITETRIS)
- Another implementation of the classic game, but this version can play itself!; latest version is 1.6.3c, 2005-06-07
- Lots of wild and crazy driving is involved in this arcade car game. Features include a variety of acrobatic tracks with a quick and nervous gameplay (tracks almost never exceed one minute) and a network mode. This is a free clone of Trackmania.
Marathon: Aleph One
- An open source descendant of Bungie's _Marathon 2_ first-person 3D shooting game. Latest stable release is 0.20, 2008-06-21.
NetHack - Falcon's Eye
- A mouse-driven interface for NetHack that enhances the visuals, audio and accessibility of the game, yet retains all the original game-play and game features. Latest release is 1.9.3, 2004-11-17. N.B.: This game still garners a lot of downloads on its SourceForge site.
NetHack 3.4.3: Home Page
- A cross-platform, single-player dungeon exploration game with a variety of graphical and text interfaces which use the same game engine. Current version is 3.4.3, 2003.
- NetGames has merged with the GNU Gaming Zone (GGZ) project (http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/). All development is now on GNU Gaming Zone.
- A cross-platform, multi-player (up to 16 players) battle simulation with a Star Trek theme. It is a successor Netrek (1986) and was first played in 1988. As of 2010 it is the oldest Internet game still actively played. Latest release is 3.2.7, 2008-09-19.
- A 3D arcade game in the tradition of Marble Madness. It also includes Neverputt, a hot-seat, multi-player miniature golf game using the physics and graphics of Neverball. Latest release is 1.5.4, 2009-09-20.
- A cross-platform, first-person shooter game. Latest stable release is 2.5.2, 2009-09-29.
OOmadness - Slune
- A 3D GPL'ed racing game, where Tux and Gnu carry medicine for Africa.
- A cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.
- A 3D city simulator game. Also available in French, German, and Italian. Latest stable release is 0.0.62, 2009-10-22.
OpenTTD -- Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
- This is a reincarnation of the classic TTD game from the DOS era, with improved building capabilities, better path-finding algorithms, and lots of new and improved features. Latest stable release is 1.0.5, 2010-11-20.
- A Python-based rhythm game similar to Dance Dance Revolution or Pump It Up. Latest release is 1.1.0, 2009-12-27.
PySolFC Home Page
- PySolFC (PySol Fan Club edition) is a collection of more than 1000 solitaire card games. It is a fork of PySol Solitaire, which is no longer being developed. Also available in Russian.
- A portable, cross-platform set of Python modules designed for writing games.
- An addictive action puzzle game with single player and multi-player capabilities (Internet or LAN). Latest stable release is 1.2.0, 2009-06-04.
Real Time Battle
- A programming game, in which robots controlled by programs fight each other; user manual available in English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
- A Java-based programming game, where the goal is to develop robot battle tanks to battle against competitor tanks. The moto of Robocode is: Build the best, destroy the rest! Latest release is 220.127.116.11 (beta) 2009-06-08.
Robocode: Home Page
- A site for all things Robocode (a game where you use Java to program one or more robots to do battle in an arena against each other); uploads/downloads, forums, code snippets, news, bots, and tips can be found here.
- A cross-platform, arcade-style, network multi-player game. Latest stable release is 3.25, 2007-10-04. N.B.: version 3.26 has a critical bug, and the developer advises reverting back to 3.25 until it is fixed.
- A 3D, turn-based warfare game with tanks. This is a modern remake of the old classic, Scorched Earth.
- A cross-platform interpreter for several point-and-click adventure engines. This includes all SCUMM-based classic adventure games by LucasArts, Simon the Sorcerer 1&2 by AdventureSoft, Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword 1&2 by Revolution, and many more. Latest stable release is 1.0.0, 2009-11-08. N.B.: As of 2009-03-15, the FreeSCI project has been absorbed into ScummVM.
Secret Maryo Chronicles
- A cross-platform two-dimensional platform game with a style designed similar to classic sidescroller games. It's fun, but not violent.
Simple DirectMedia Layer
- A cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer; used extensively for games. Site also available in German; documentation translated into many languages.
- A cross-platform, open source (GPLv2), first-person shooter game. It is intended to be a semi-realistic simulation of the "Old West's" atmosphere, and was developed on id Software's Quake III Arena Engine. Gameplay as well as locations are inspired by western movies particularly from the Spaghetti Western genre. Lastest release is 1.0, 2009-01-01.
StepMania: Free Dance Game and Songs
- A cross-platform rhythm video game and engine which features 3D graphics, visualizations, support for gamepads/dance pads, and a step recording mode. Also available in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
- A cross-platform real-time strategy gaming engine, which includes support for playing over the Internet/LAN, or playing a computer opponent; successor to Freecraft.
Super Methane Brothers
- An action game in which a gas gun is used to capture baddies and throw them against walls to turn them into toys.
- A classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game featuring Tux, our hero. Latest stable release is 0.3.1, 2007-12. Latest preview release is 0.3.3, 2010-03-01.
- A cross-platform, 3D kart racing game featuring Tux and his friends.
T.E.G. - Tenes Empanadas Graciela (Risk clone)
- A cross-platform clone of 'Plan Tactico y Estrategico de la Guerra', which is a pseudo-clone of Risk, a multi-player, turn-based strategy game with a GNOME interface. Also available in Catalan, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish. Latest release is 0.11.2, 2007-03-14.
- A cross-platform, retro multiplayer game. This is an online game that allows up to 16 players in a variety of game modes. Latest stable release is 0.5.0, 2009-01-13.
- An epic space combat role playing game (rpg) for Linux.
- A framework for developing turn-based space-empire-building 4X strategy games.
- Based on the Atari game, Gravitar, the player controls a spaceship in corridors by rotating, thrusting and shooting; latest release is 0.89f, 2006-01-09.
Tim Mann's Chess Page
- Information on GNU Chess, XBoard, WinBoard, Crafty, Internet chess servers, Zippy, chess websites, and chess FTP sites.
- A cross-platform FPS (first person shooter) humans vs. aliens game. What sets this game apart from the traditional FPS game is that there are two different types of players, Humans and Aliens, thatbattle against each other. Latest stable release is 1.1.0, 2006-03-31. Latest beta release is 1.2, 2009-12-03.
- A 2D car racing action game for Linux; latest stable release is 1.1.3, 2003-05-13.
Tuxedo T. Penguin: A Quest for Herring.
- The game stars Tux the Linux Penguin and his girlfriend, Gown, as they solve problems and search a number of 3D levels for Golden Herring. Latest release is 1.0.14, 2008-08-29.
UFO: Alien Invasion
- A squad-based tactical strategy game in the tradition of the old X-COM PC games, but also combines military realism with science-fiction and alien invasion. Internationalization is excellent -- also available in Czech, Danish, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian. Latest stable release is 2.3.1, 2010-11-29.
- A 3d OpenGL action RPG space simulator for Linux. Latest stable release is 0.5.0, 2008-04-28.
- A cross-platform first-person shooter game set in a futuristic cartoon-like world where rocketlauncher-wielding pigs and lasergun-carrying cyberpunks roam the streets. Latest release is 0.5, 2009-08-27.
Warzone 2100 Resurrection
- A real-time strategy and real-time tactics hybrid game. The object of the game is rebuild the world after humans (and everything else) have almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. Latest stable release is 2.3.4, 2010-08-17.
- A cross-platform, real-time strategy game which can be played against human or AI opponents. Latest release is Build 15, 2010-04-15.
World of Padman
- An open source, first-person shooter game based on the comic strip, "Padman". Game available in English and German.
- The WorldForge project is about building tools to allow the construction of online role-playing games. A community of free game developers centred around developing software, music, art, code and content for free games. The WorldForge project is the original open-source MMORPG project, dating back to 1997.
- A little game in X; originally a NeXTStep implementation by Edmund Ronald (the original game was called Quinto).
- A 2D motocross platform game where physics play an all-important role in the gameplay. Latest release is 0.7.0, 2010-05-19.
- A multi-player Internet space combat gaming system. Latest release is 2.6.1, 2008-06-23.
- A multi-player Gauntlet-style arcade game for X-Windows featuring open source mascots such as Tux; latest stable release on 2003-03-12.
Xconq - Empire Style Strategy Game
- A general strategy game system that includes all the components for a complete game system: a portable engine, graphical interfaces for Unix/Linux/X11, MacOS, and Windows, multiple AIs, networking for multi-player games, and an extensive game library. Latest release (pre-release packages) is 7.5, 2004-05-20.
- An open source game engine. It is a non-commercial, multiplayer first-person shooter game based on a heavily modified Quake 3 Arena engine (id Tech 3).