Against Intellectual Monopoly - Online Book
- This book demonstrates why "Intellectual Property", otherwise known as Intellectual Monopoly, does not foster and protect innovation like the IP pundits claim. PDF format only. (2007)
Beyond Linux From Scratch (BLFS) Book -- Online Book
- This book continues the Linux From Scratch book; includes information on networking, X support, sound support and printer and scanner support; also available in French, Italian, Russian, and Spanish. (2007)
Blender Basics - Online Book
- This free, online book presents an introduction and a set of step-by-step lessons for working with Blender. There is a Russian edition available as well. (3rd edition, 2009)
C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3 - Online Book
- See download section for both a PDF version and the source document; Prentice-Hall Profession Technical Reference, 2004. N.B.: This link will be removed as soon as the "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4" book is available online.
ConsortiumInfo.org - ODF vs. OOXML: War of the Words (an eBook)
- Andy Updegrove, a well-known standards guru and blogger, is the author of this eBook project which documents the history and process of the ODF (Open Document Format) vs. OOXML (the Microsoft answer to ODF). This is a work in progress. He invites people to share their knowledge and insight on this subject by posting comments publicly on his blog or via email. An invaluable resource on this important topic. (2007-2008)
Debian Developer's Reference
- The purpose of this document is to provide an overview of the recommended procedures and the available resources for Debian developers. Available for download in PDF format. This guide has been translated into French. Latest version of this guide: 2009-04-03.
Firestarter Linux Firewall
- Easy to use graphical tools for setting up, administrating and monitoring firewalls for Linux machines. It supports the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, and is translated into 38 languages. This is a GNOME application, but can be used on KDE and other desktop environments, servers and gateways. Latest stable release is 1.03, 2005-01-29. N.B.: There are still lots of daily downloads of this software at SourceForge.net.
Free Software Sticker Book
- This book includes a set of stickers related to free software projects. Both volumes can be downloaded in PDF format. (2008)
GNU Autoconf, Automake and Libtool Book
- An expert, nuts-and-bolts guide to using these utilities effectively; site has a browsable online version and related links. This book was published in 2000, but it is one of the best sources for information on these programming development tools. Parts of this book were updated in 2006.
GNU/Linux Advanced Administration - Online Book
- This is an excellent Linux system administration book published by the Free Technology Academy, a "virtual university" with support from the European Commission. It covers topics such as networking, server and data administration, the kernel, security, clustering, configuration, tuning, optimization, migration and coexistence with non-Linux systems. Available as a PDF download (18.8 Mb). Also available in Catalan and Spanish. (2009)
GTK+ / Gnome Application Development - Online Book
- This book is about Gnome from a developer's point of view; it describes how to write a Gnome application using the Gnome libraries and tools. Published by New Riders. An Italian translation is available.
Git Community Book
- This book, written by Git users, is a detailed guide which helps new users to learn Git quickly and easily. Also available in PDF format.
LWN: Linux Device Drivers - Online Book
- Current as of the 2.6.10 kernel; available in PDF format; O'Reilly, 2005. See the LWN 2.6 API changes page (http://lwn.net/Articles/2.6-kernel-api) for information on subsequent changes.
Linux From Scratch - Online Book
- Derived from the popular Linux-From-Scratch-HOWTO, this book describes the process of creating a Linux system from scratch from an already installed Linux distribution, using nothing but the sources of software that are needed. (2005)
Linux Kernel in a Nutshell - Online Book
- This book is a comprehensive overview of kernel configuration and building by Greg Kroah-Hartman, one of the leading Linux kernel developers. It is available for free download in either PDF or DocBook format for the entire book, or by the individual chapter from this site. (O'Reilly, 2006)
Linux Newbie Administrator Guide
- A complete reference guide for new Linux users who wish to set up and administer their own Linux home computer, workstation or home network. Translated into many languages. A little dated (2004), but most of the information is still useful.
O'Reilly Open Books Project
- In partnership with Creative Commons and the Internet Archive, O'Reilly has made available a collection of programming, open source, and Linux-related books for download in PDF format. Most are in English, but there are some available in German and Polish. N.B.: Some of these books are older, but I applaud this initiative by O'Reilly, and hope newer books will be added to this collection.
Open Source Development with CVS
- PDF format; 3rd edition, 2003. Translations available in German, Korean, and Japanese. Note: the 1st edition is available in a variety of formats, including online HTML.
- A detailed manual for PowerDNS, an advanced, high performance authoritative nameserver with a host of backends.
Practical mod_perl - Online Book
- Available in HTML and PDF version, along with the source code; distributed under the CreativeCommons Attribution Share-Alike license. O'Reilly, 2003.
Pro Git - Online Book
- This book is about all aspects of Git, the version control system developed by Linus Torvalds. On this site you can find the full, online content of the book, a blog with tips and updates about Git, the book, and open source projects related to Git or referenced in the book. Apress, 2009
Producing Open Source Software
- This book looks at how to run a successful open source project, concentrating on the human (how to deal with people) rather than technical (infrastructure tools) side of things. The author's use of real world examples to illustrate his points make this book a "must read". Published by O'Reilly; also available online and in a variety of downloadable formats. Released under an open copyright that allows everyone to share and modify the book freely. Many translations available. (2005)
Slackware Linux Basics - Online Book
- This book is an introduction to the Slackware distribution. It particularly targets people with little or no Linux experience. It covers installation, basic Linux commands, and the configuration of Slackware Linux. Available online or in PDF format for Slackware 10.2 and 12.0. (2008)
The Art of Community - Online Book
- Jono Bacon, Community Manager for Ubuntu, is the author of this useful book, which discusses the expertise required to recruit members, motivate them, manage them, and make them happy to be part of your free and open source community. He also examines the information needed, ranging from software tools to conflict resolution skills. This is an important book for the Linux community. The PDF download can be found just above the Comments Section. It can also be purchased from O'Reilly. (2009)
The Concepts of Free Software and Open Standards - Online Book
- This is a comprehensive book on all aspects of free software and open standards published by the Free Technology Academy, a "virtual university" with support from the European Commission. It covers such topics as: the concept of software freedom, legal aspects, developers and their motivations, economic considerations, and history of free software. Available as a PDF download (3.2 Mb). Also available in Catalan and Spanish. (2009)
The Open Book Project
- This project is aimed at the educational community and seeks to encourage and coordinate collaboration among students and teachers for the development of high quality, freely distributable textbooks and educational materials on a wide range of topics.
The Open Source Way - Online Book
- The purpose of this guide is to help people understand how to and how not to engage with the open source community over projects such as software, content, marketing, art, infrastructure, and standards. It contains knowledge distilled from years of Red Hat experience. (2009)
The Revised Slackware Book Project
- A comprehensive guide to Slackware available in a variety of formats including HTML, DocBook source, PostScript, and PDF; translations of this book to non-English languages are well underway. (2005)
The TCP/IP Guide - Online Book
- One of the best sources for information on the TCP/IP protocol available today; written in a clear, concise manner, and is suitable both for the expert as well as the beginner. (2005)
The Zope Book
- The best documentation available for Zope. Links to the 2.5 and 2.6 editions can be found here. Available online and in PDF format.
Version Control with SVK - Online Book
- This is the online home of Version Control with SVK, a free book about SVK, a new version control system designed to supplant everything else out there. This book is a work-in-progress for version 1.04 of SVK. SVKA is Perl-based, decentralized revision control system which uses Subversion's underlying file system.
Version Control with Subversion -- Online Book
- An online book about Subversion, a version control system. Available as an HTML or PDF version for online viewing or download. Latest versions available are: Subversion 1.4 2007 and Subversion 1.5, 2008.
VoIP-4D Primer - Online Book
- This guide, geared to both technical and non-technical readers, deals with building voice infrastructure. The examples in this guide provide essential background for building low-cost telephony systems. Available for download [1.8 MB] in Arabic, English, French, and Spanish. (2006)
Wireless Networking in the Developing World - Online Book
- A practical guide to planning and building inexpensive telecommunications infrastructure; particularly suitable for people who have little or no Internet access. Available in PDF format only. Site has a wiki and mailing list. (2nd edition, 2007)