- A Linux DVD authoring suite with many features. Latest release is 2.1.0, 2010-01-09.
42 of the Best Free Linux Video Software
- A compilation of Linux video software organized into broad subject areas. Each entry has a summary, license information, developer list, system requirements, and a link to the homepage. Last updated 2009-08-11.
- A cross-platform video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering, and encoding tasks. It supports many different file types.
- An easy-to-use DVD authoring program for Linux. Site also available in Russian. Latest stable release is 1.0, 2010-12-30.
- Webcam and video applications for Linux.
- A cross-platform, pre-production software for film, video, theatre, and animation; multilingual support.
- Cheese is a webcam application which uses GStreamer to apply effects to photos and videos. It can export to Flickr and is integrated into the GNOMEdesktop. Latest stable release is 2.30.0, 2010-03-29.
- A video editor and compositor for Linux. This is a fork of the original Cinelerra project, which can be found here: http://heroinewarrior.com/. Latest stable release is 4.2, 2010-10-17.
DV(Digital Video) over IP [DVTS]
- DVTS (Digital Video Transport System) is an application for sending and receiving DV(Digital Video) streams using the Internet. Latest Linux release is 1.0a, 2007-10-10. Also available in Japanese.
- Software that creates DVD slideshows from a group of pictures, directories, and/or online photo albums; special effects, such as cross-fading, are available as well. Latest release is 0.8.0, 2007-01-15.
- A cross-platform application designed to turn image collections into DVD slideshows.
- A cross-platform DVD authoring system. Also available in German and Russian. Latest release is 1.1.7, 2008-11-11.
DVR - Digital Video Recorder for Linux
- A tool to record movie clips. It relies on GStreamer as a backend and Qt for the user interface. Latest stable release is 3.99.3, 2007-06-02. Also available in French and German.
Digital Tipping Point
- A Linux and Open Source advocacy and news site. Of particular interest is the open source documentary film project. Site also available in Spanish.
Dirac | Video Compression
- An advanced, royalty-free video compression format designed for a wide range of uses, from delivering low-resolution Web content to broadcasting HD and beyond to near-lossless studio editing. It was originally developed by the BBC Research Department.
- An information site for MythTV on Fedora; includes a comprehensive HOWTO (Step-by-step guide to building a MythTV System on Fedora Core 3 w/ATrpms); tips and tricks, universal remotes and setting up a high-definition TV.
- A vision mixer: an instrument for real-time video manipulation used in the fields of dance teather, veejaying, medicalvisualisation and TV. Latest release is 0.9.1, 2007-11-26.
- An open source home theatre PC platform based on Linux with open source audio/video tools, such as MPlayer and Xine.
- An application for managing movie collections.
- A full-featured mastering suite for authoring, disassembling and analyzing video CDs and super video CDs. Latest release is: 0.723, 2005-07-11. N.B.: The main site, www.vcdimager.org, is down until further notice due to hardware issues.
- A 500 MB bootable CD that installs a special Linux version with all the MythTV commands; allows the user to get MythTV up and running easily.
- A free and open source video editor *and* a VJ (Video Jockey) tool. Latest stable release is 1.0.0, 2009-07-22.
- An audio/video conversion tool; includes libavcodec, the leading open source codec library. A fork of FFMpeg in 2011-03. Latest releases are: 0.6.1, 2010-10-18 and 0.5.42,011-03-17.
Linux AVI file library
- A working implementation of a few multimedia-related utilities for x86 Linux. Some of these utilities include: video capture and recompression applications that would work with most popular AVI file formats, and, the most popular, an AVI movie player that plays DivX. Latest release is 0.7.45-20060306, 2006-03-06.
Linux DV - Digital Video for Linux
- Two software packages for video: Kino (a non-linear DV editor) and dv/grab. Kino is a free, open source video editing programme that captures video through firewire then adds titles, transitions and video effects to the footage.
Linux Tutorial: Video, DVD, TV and Multimedia
- Linux video, DVD, TV, HDTV and Hauppauge WinTV PCI card use. Included in this tutorial are links to software, video formats and information pertaining to video multimedia on Linux. This page also includes a tutorial on the use of the Hauppauge WinTV PCI card under Linux. (2007)
Linux UVC Driver and Tools
- Linux driver and user-space tools for USB Video Class devices. Development is concentrated on video input devices, especially webcams.
- An association of over 300 technologists advancing Linux motion picture technology.
MJPEG - Tools for recording/playback of videos
- A set of tools that can do recording of videos and playback, simple cut-and-paste editing and the MPEG compression of audio and video under Linux. Latest release is 1.9.0 (rc4), 2008-12-08.
- A KDE TV-guide; has backends to grab TV listings from many countries including Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Sweden, the UK and the U.S.
Ming - an SWF Output Library and PHP Module
- A C library for generating SWF ("Flash") format movies, plus a set of wrappers for using the library from C++ and popular scripting languages like PHP, Perl, Python, and Ruby. Latest release is 0.40, 2008-07-05.
Miro - Free and Open Source Internet TV and Video Player Platform
- A cross-platform, open source, non-profit video player and podcast client. It has all the tools for creating, finding and distributing videos without the DRM nonsense. Translated into many languages. Latest stable release is 2.5.4, 2009-12-09. Formerly called Democracy.
- User guide for Motion software detector edited by Kenneth Lavrsen. Latest version of this guide is 3.2.11, 2008-09-21.
Mplayer - the Movie Player
- A movie player for Linux with support for many formats including MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4. Site also available in Hungarian, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. The documentation is available in many languages. Latest stable release is 1.0rc3, 2009-11-01.
- Linux PVR (personal video recorder) software. Latest release is 0.24, 2010-11-10.
- An application and a set of libraries for ripping and encoding DVD into AVI or OGM files using a wide variety of codecs. Developed for GNOME2. Also available in French and German. Latest release is 0.2, 2009-12-25.
Ogle DVD Player
- An open source DVD player; latest version is 0.9.2, 2003.
Open Movie Editor
- An easy-to-use and simple Linux video editor, that provides basic movie making capabilities. Latest release is 0.0.20090105, 2009-01-05.
- A cross-platform 3D audio API appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.
OpenShot Video Editor
- A GTK-based, non-linear video editor for Linux. Latest stable release is 1.3.0, 2011-02-14.
- PiTiVi is a non-linear video editor for Linux. It is designed to be a simple video editor to meet the needs of users in the GNOME desktop environment. Latest stable release is 0.13.5, 2010-09-15.
Quasar DV Codec Home Page
- A software decoder for DV format video, as defined by the IEC 61834 and SMPTE 314M standards. DV is the encoding format used by consumer-grade digital camcorders. Latest stable release is 1.0.0, 2006-09-26.
Quicktime for Linux
- A convenient way to read and write uncompressed Quicktime movies on Linux.
- A cross-platform 2D vector animation film production system. Latest release is 0.62.01, 2010-05-29. Site also available in French.
TVNow for Linux
- A program that displays the North American satellite and network TV Listings that are provided by the TVNOW company.
The DVD Rip Site
- A full-featured DVD copy program written in Perl with an easy-to-use Gtk+ GUI to control almost all aspects of the ripping and transcoding process. It uses the widely known video processing swissknife transcode and many other Open Source tools. Latest stable release is 98.10, 2009-03-04.
The dvdauthor Homepage
- A set of tools to generate DVD files for playback on a stand-alone DVD player. Latest release is 0.6.18. 2010-03-18.
VideoLAN - VLC Media Player
- A cross-platform media player which can also act as a server to stream a wide variety of formats including MPEG 1,2, and 4, dvds, satellite and ground-based digital TV. Latest stable release is 1.1.6, 2011-01-23.
- A set of scripts to convert movies in any format to a DVD-compatible VOB format and then combine one or more of these movies into a complete DVD with a movie selection menu.
- Web interface to record TV shows on a hard drive.