What's New in Version 1.1.0
We've incremented the minor number for this release in honour of an
improved website and improved selection of the underlying data.
Improvements to the Website
- W3C compliancy.
- Searching by URL allowed.
- Common navigation links on all pages.
- New homepage, submit URL page and change URL page.
We have added 1400 links and deleted 500 links according to our
selection policy, bringing the total to 4000+ links. The majority of
the changes are additions of new and interesting sites. There is also a
combination of additions and deletions that reflect our substitution of
better alternatives for sites that have fallen into disrepair. As part of
this process we've specifically looked for dated links in the following
categories: Advocacy, Commercial Sites, Documentation, General Interest,
Networking--Browsers, Networking--Email Clients/Servers, X Window System--
GNOME, X Window System--KDE. We also regularly run htcheck to find bad
links. We want to minimize those pesky 404s!
Here is a summary of the major changes we made as part of the continuing
effort to make our classification of links as useful as possible to our
- Spell checking of the assigned titles and annotations for each
website included in LoLL.
- New names for the following major categories: Commercial Sites,
Graphics, Platform Ports, Linux Link Collections.
- Added the following sub-categories to the Software Applications
category: Business/Enterprise, Documentation, Search Engines,
- Consolidated all HOWTOs into the Documentation--HOWTOs category. In
keeping with LoLL policy, documentation links tend to appear twice in
LoLL; once in a Documentation sub-category and once in the applicable
What's New in Version 1.0.1
- Deleted invalid and out-of-date links. This database maintenance is
time consuming (even though we use htcheck to find all links where
there might be problems), but we feel this effort is an important part of
LoLL's mission to make accessible nothing but the highest-quality Linux
- Added many links. These far outweighed the deletions so our net number of
links has actually gone up by 300!
- Added a python script to generate a nicely formatted list of our category
- Category renaming and reorganization. This is part of an on-going effort to
make our classification of links as useful as possible to our users.
- A number of category renamings.
- Several minor category reorganizations.
- Reorganization of the Distributions category.
- Added the following sub-categories: Desktop, Embedded, Meta Sites,
Mini, and Special Purpose. We link only to the more important
distributions and depend on the meta sites to link to a more complete
list of Linux distributions.
- Reorganization of the Documentation category.
- Added the following sub-categories: FAQs, Mailing Lists,
Internationalization, and Publications. Note that documentation
links tend to appear twice in LoLL; once in a Documentation
sub-category and once in the applicable subject category.
- Added Meta Sites sub-category to the following categories: Distributions,
Documentation--HOWTOs, Games, and Security and Privacy.
- Created a LoLL mailing list. In the last three months there has been so much
interest in this project (25,000 web hits and 200 downloads) we felt it was
time to create a mailing list for interested users. To subscribe see